When used correctly, hashtags can be an effective way to grow your reach, encourage engagement, and get discovered on Twitter. With this in mind, here are some key tips to consider before you Tweet.
- Make it easy to remember — and spell. Don’t leave room for possible typos, which will make your Tweet undiscoverable.
- Be realistic. Don’t expect people to start using your brand slogan or other one-sided hashtags in their Tweets if it doesn’t fit naturally and there is no incentive for them to do so.
- Do your research. Check and see what hashtags people are already using when talking about your brand, and capitalize on those. Also, make sure to check if your desired hashtag is already being used. If so, ask yourself if it’s still relevant to your brand.
- Give people a reason to use your hashtag. Whether it’s an actual prize or just recognition in the form of a Retweet, your audience will respond better when it’s a mutually beneficial relationship.
- Partner with influencers. Influencers can help gain exposure and visibility for your hashtag.
- Over hashtag. One to two relevant hashtags per Tweet is the sweet spot. Remember: character count matters.
- Expect your brand slogan to translate to a hashtag. A hashtag is meant to be inclusive, shareable, and discoverable. If it doesn’t organically fit within a Tweet, it’ll feel forced and lose its intended purpose.
- Expect people to use your hashtag without a reason or incentive. The best hashtags have the ability to draw people in and invoke curiosity to explore and join in on the conversation.
- Neglect to educate on what it is and how to use it. Make sure you’re clearly communicating the hashtag and more importantly, why someone would want to include it in their own Tweet.
- Use all CAPS LOCK. Unless it’s an acronym, this feels like shouting and also adds unnecessary work.
If you need helping to establish your social media plans or are already using social media but don’t have time to give it your full attention, then let us look after it for you CONTACT US to discuss your needs